If there is no enemy within,
The enemy outside can do no harm.
I got this tag from Jenny In Neverland, so I decided to share a few of my favorites this month.
- Yoga: while I have been slacking on exercising, I have started some simple morning yoga poses to jumpstart my day. I try to do them in the a.m. oddly, Tamia has allowed me to do them!
- Reading: on my early days I work I’m up at 6 am, the first 30 minutes I try to read. For the past month, I’ve been reading The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John C. Maxwell. This read has me not only reflecting on my own level of leadership, but I have been in observance of the leaders around me (or there lack of) analyzing their style of taking initiative and taking notes. Highly suggest it. I found the book on thriftbooks for $4.19.
- Learning: if you don’t know already, I love to learn. As I am still waiting on my decision letter for University, I have in the meantime enrolled myself in a self-paced Speed Reading course! At the time it was $10.00 on Groupon (a $199 value) for full access to this course on skillsuccess.com. They also have other various types of courses. I also found a Voiceover Course. I’m really excited about this one but wanted to take the Speed Reading course first as I believe this will be highly beneficial on my journey to success.
- Youtuber Andrea Lewis: if anyone is familiar with the Canadian Show: Degrassi, she portrayed Hazel Aden in the show. I came across her page looking for acting videos. She has an entire show called Black Actress (2 Seasons worth) that starts with interviewing famous black actresses like Essence Adkins, Aisha Hinds, & Erica Hubbard. They give life lessons on the industry, tips on auditioning process, etc. Currently, I love her self-love Saturday segments.
What are your favorite activities/things right now?
I’m gonna add another goal to the second half of this year as I have been lying to myself and trying to fake it until I make it. Learning to love myself for who I am (I have flaws as well as my highlights). We all naturally insinuate our strengths, but sweep our weaknesses under the rug if we can’t address them.
I have big dreams. I maybe leading off as if what I am about to say sounds like it intangible but the reality is this: most don’t make it, though few do. The difference between the some from the few? While both have a come-to-Jesus moment in their journey, was what they did about it in the end. Most allow their circumstances dictate their next move, their reaction, their outcome. Few in that moment, change their way of thinking to mold that circumstance to work for them getting them a step closer to where they want to be.
I feel for that to happen, I have to be completely honest with myself. Which I’ve never been. So I need to add one more goal to my Mid-Year Goals. I officially claim this Self-Love journey I’ve unknowingly been on. Step one: Recognizing & Accepting the things about myself I can’t change. For the things I can change, plan & execute.
No one can produce great things who is not thoroughly sincere in dealing with himself.
-James Russell Lovell
Until Next Time,
Hi there! So if you haven’t already, check out my Make-Up Haul + Review! This is my first attempt in applying my own makeup. I practiced filling in my eyebrows and the cat eye/winged look with the eyeliner.
Either I’m just heavy handed or I just need to clean it up with the foundation and or concealer. I think it looks like a lot to because it’s just the brow pencil on my unfinished face. Expect another post with the foundation (still have to shop for that) and concealer. I think I’ll do one more with just eyeshadow instead of fitting that all in one. I’m looking for some tips and more tutorials for easy ways to fill them in. I watch Shirley B. Eniang’s videos on how she fills hers in which I love. While I think I get her concept, I think I am just too heavy handed and am looking for more videos for different ways to achieve this minimal clean look. Anyone you reference? Leave it in the comments.
Cat Eye/Winged Look
I was a little heavy on my right eye (your left). But overall I think I did good.
Umm, yeah that’s it for this one. I will keep practicing so I can do this in less time.
Over all I think I did pretty well for my first try. With a lot more practice and tutorials I will be a pro in no time. I don’t feel confident enough to wear this out in public just yet but I think whether I am ready or not I have to get past this perfectionist mentality. I can get as close to perfection as I can but I’d be waiting forever. A little more practice though.
Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!
If I didn’t define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people’s fantasies for me and eaten alive.
I’m low-key excited about sharing my gifts I received. Wonder what will be in store for this year?
A new purse: I was in desperate need for a new purse. The straps on my burgundy handbag from the year before were about to break! Sad I buy as I need, but this year my goals were to be more receptive to my personal needs. So thankful for that and I love nude. I used this as my everyday bag, and you guessed it! Time for a new one. *Adds to Christmas List*
H&M Gift Card: We did secret santa at my job and the way we did it was to choose three things you wanted, and our secret santa got one of the three gifts. I chose gift cards from B-dubs, H&M, & the movies. I am so glad my coworker chose the H&M card. I budgeted to spend $50, only spent about $35 out of pocket. Such a blessing!
Harry Potter Series: *exhales*. So if you have been following since the beginning, you can recall my Book Haul I shared for Blogtober, I said I’d read this series for the fall and into the winter (it’s seven books). Sad to say I was not able to save and get them and have not made it over to my local library with transitioning jobs and the holidays, I just decided to watch the movies again. I am so thankful I received them as a Christmas gift because I was planning on ordering them because I had the extra cash. Sadly, I never finished the book challenge I made for myself after starting my full-time job I work now. I think I’ll start this back up again in Blogtober or maybe in September (Blogtober was hectic). That plus a cup of hot cocoa and this book should be fun *so excited*. Expect some reviews..
Erin Condren Planner
So if no ones ever told you, ask and you shall receive. Well, I wanted this planner, and knew I couldn’t afford it, but am determined to use this as my aid to plan my New Year, so I made post on Facebook, asking for one because I need it. I got a few, “they are expensive”, and “they’re on sale” posts, which kind of pissed me off because that’s not what I asked you. I know how much they are, I am thankful for the sale heads up, because my aunt in New York, who I still have to meet, inboxed me later of a screen shot of a confirmation screen!
I haven’t used it since I moved. I still have some boxes I need to unpack. Reading this reminded me that I had it. See how time changes things? I need to pull this out now so I can get back into a routine. This definitely helped. Going into this second half of the year, as a matter of fact *goes through box of books*.
How are your gifts holding up??
For many years the concept of finding yourself versus creating yourself has been a topic of discussion. This concept comes from a famous quote by author George Bernard Shaw “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating you”. Finding Yourself Many times when the topic of finding yourself is usually referenced to a “young […]
June, I’m glad you’re gone.
While I feel like I did a lot, I also felt like I didn’t do a thing.
No, let me not say that because I worked my ass off. I had a good month work wise. But in doing that I realized that I had no time for myself. Actually this entire first half of the year, I did nothing for myself. Multiple failed attempts at working out, no new adventures, no new habits formed. It sounds a little sad. Let me not say that either..
I moved and learned a lot on my job, and I finally applied to University so I can finish my Bachelor’s. Just waiting on the decision letter.
Patience is what I learned this first half of the year. Moving too quickly can cause you to miss out on things that matter, beneficial aspects of the journey. Finding peace in waiting is what it is all about. Going back and reviewing everything you already did you ma find you missed something or could’ve done something better. It’s all a learning experience.
You have to forgive me if I sound a little blunt, straightforward or just plan rude. I honestly believe it is the birth control I’m on. My emotions have been strong and I have been meaning them.
I find myself at a plateau in life. I know what it is I want to do, I do the research, but make no plans to implement them. Why is this? Any psychologists/life coaches out there with some free info please don’t hesitate to comment a tip or two.
Moving forward, the year is not over yet. It is the second half and I still have time to turn this thing around. So these will be the basis of my goals for the rest of the year and what you can expect to read:
- Meditation + Prayer (Mind & Spirit)
- Cardio + Strength Training (Body)
- Clean Eating + Detox (Body)
- Learning (Intellectual Stimulation)
The first half I am not too worried about but I do wish I did more. It is a blessing however, to have the mind set of a new day. Everyday I wake up, I start over. I remember the past, but I try not to let it determine my present or future.
How is your year going? Let’s get some motivation in the comments.
1 rack of Baby Back Ribs
Lawry’s: Seasoned Salt
Great Value: Organic Garlic Powder
Trader Joe’s Smoked Paprika
Great Value: Organic Hickory BBQ Seasoning
Mrs. Dash: Salt-Free Original Blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Clean thawed ribs (I removed some of the fat), then season however you like. I don’t really eat ribs unless they are off of a grill (or unless my grandma cooks them. She insisted I take a rack and they were halfway thawed so I said why not.
- To mock that grilled/smoked taste, I rubbed the smoked pap and hickory BBQ on it first, then the seasoned salt, garlic powder, then the Mrs. Dash. Baked for 30-40 minutes (my grandma said 30 but, I did 40 and they still came out fairly well. She also said to use tenderizer, but I didn’t have any so..
Came out delicious, I guess it was all in how well I rubbed in the spices because it tasted like I marinated the ribs over night. For my first time making ribs, I did a good job. As you can see I don’t have actual measurements for how much seasoning. I am able to measure just by looking (I can obviously tell when enough is enough).
I know that is something I need to work on and I don’t normally eat this heavy. But everything in moderation right? But I do like well seasoned food. In other words, I like to taste my spices and seasonings in every bite. I guess I had a sweet tooth, because after they were finished, I added a hint of brown sugar on top and took the left over oils from the bottom of the pan I cooked the asparagus to coat the brown sugar to I guess caramelize into the ribs. I didn’t taste the asparagus on the ribs at all.
I sauteed asparagus in olive oil, salt, and pepper for about 5-7 minutes.
I also baked corn on the cob provided by my grandma (she provided this whole meal minus the asparagus— found that in the fridge). That recipe I got from pinterest.
The cookies were prepackaged from Walmart, Tollhouse brand I believe, also amazing! This meal was great and if you try it, please let me know how it turned out in the comments.
- I heard Gordon Ramsey say fat’s only purpose on meat is to help maintain flavor while meat is cooking—it should be cut off and disregarded after cooked (steaks and ribs for example).
- My grandma said spraying over your ribs after seasoning them helps to keep them from drying out while in the oven. Indeed she was right!
If you don’t change your life,
your life will change you!!!
-My friend Ciara J.